Homecoming is right around the corner (Friday, October 14) which means it is time to schedule dress checks. I completely understand the extra time and effort it takes to find a dress that meets the guidelines for formal events and am beyond thankful for your partnership in creating an inviting and fun event for all of our girls! Last year everyone did a fantastic job finding dresses that were not only gorgeous, but also met these requirements. THANK YOU!
Below you will find a list of expectations, dates, and procedures we will be following for dress checks this year. Please read all of the following information carefully so that you can ensure you are prepared to have your dress checked.
Prior to Dress Check Dates:
- Sign up for a date and time to have dresses checked.
- Sign-up outside of Mrs. Hunt’s classroom door, C-307. First come, first served.
- Ladies without appointments will not be able to have their dress checked that day.
On Dress Check Day:
- Drop off dresses to Mrs. Hunt’s room before first period.
- After school, change into dresses in the school restrooms
- The dress check committee, a group of DCHS and DCJHS teachers, will check each dress based on the DCHS Formal Dress Guidelines (listed below).
- If the dress does not meet the approved standards at this time ladies will be required to have alterations made to their dress or find another dress to meet the guidelines. An additional check will be required as well.
Tips for Dress Checks:
- Bring the shoes you will wear with your dress.
- If you will need leggings to meet the length requirements, please bring them with you to your dress check.
- Have any necessary alterations to length, cleavage, etc. made prior to your dress check.
Dress Check Dates:
- Wednesday, September 13 3:10 – 4:30 PM
- Thursday, September 14 3:10 – 4:30 PM
- Tuesday, September 19 3:10 – 4:30 PM
- Thursday, September 21 3:10 – 4:30 PM
- Monday, September 25 3:10 – 4:30 PM
- Wednesday, September 27 3:10 – 4:30 PM
- Saturday, September 30 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
*Additional times are available during lunch by appointment only if necessary due to scheduling conflicts on all of the dates listed above. Please have your child see Mrs. Hunt at least 24 hours in advance to schedule this appointment.
DCHS Formal Dress Guidelines:
- No flesh tone or form fitting underlays with see-through materials as an overlay. This means no lace dresses with fabric beneath that are nude, pale pink, cream, brown, etc.
- Length of the dress must meet the top of the knee.
- Ladies who find dresses that are not to the top of the knee may wear opaque leggings (not sheer tights) underneath their dress or have permanent alterations made to lengthen the dress in order to meet this guidelines.
- Dresses must have at least one strap. No clear straps.
- Back of the dress must be no lower than the natural line of the bra strap.
- No visible cleavage.
- No cutouts below the neckline.
- Dresses should not be so tight that they cling to the body.
- Slits should not be any higher than the top of the knee.
- This is the BEST resource I have found for dresses that meet our standards. They are BEAUTIFUL! Many girls last year purchased dressed from this website.
- Women’s Section of Department Stores
- David’s Bridal
- Great selection of tall styles!
Please feel free to accompany your daughter to her dress check if you have any questions or need advice on a particular dress!
Gentlemen who plan to bring guests from other schools will need to have their date sign up for a dress check as well.
Guests who show up to the dance without having had their dresses checked will not be admitted to the dance.
If you have any questions regarding the dress guidelines or dress check process, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Sara Hunt