Are you considering a future roll in National Security or Intelligence? This is an incredible opportunity.
Undergraduate Scholarship Program
Applications for this program are accepted from April 1 – September 23.
|Work Schedule:||Full Time|
|Location:||Washington, DC metropolitan area|
If you are a high school senior planning to enroll in a 4-or 5-year college program, or you are a college freshman or sophomore enrolled in a 4-or 5-year college program, who is looking for career experience in a dynamic environment, apply to the CIA’s Undergraduate Scholar Program and contribute to the work of the nation before you graduate.
The Opportunity to Make a Difference
The Undergraduate Scholar Program is a financial needs based scholarship program that offers students unmatched experience in a diverse and inclusive environment. You’ll complete work sessions during each summer break, increasing your knowledge and job responsibilities while assisting intelligence professionals and applying your academic skills.
We believe in challenging our Scholars with meaningful work that relates to their college major. An IT major, for example, might be given increasingly complex projects involving sophisticated computer systems. An engineering major might help produce a piece of state-of-the-art equipment. A finance major could be involved in developing and analyzing budgets for a worldwide operation. A foreign language major might be instrumental in translating documents for US policymakers. As a final example, a human resource major could have the opportunity to develop and implement personnel policies and procedures.
Once selected, you will be given an annual salary; a benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, and retirement; and up to $18,000 per calendar year for tuition, mandatory fees, and books. You’ll be required to work at an Agency facility during summer breaks and to maintain full-time college status during the school year with a minimum cumulative 3.0/4.0 GPA. We will pay the cost of transportation between school and the Washington, DC area each summer and provide a daily allowance for lodging, meals, and incidentals.
Because the Scholar Program is an investment in you, accepting an offer means making a career choice. We ask that you agree to continue employment with the Agency after college graduation for a period equal to 1.5 times the length of your college sponsorship.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- US citizenship
- 18 years of age by April 1 of your senior year
- 1500 SAT (1000 Math & Critical Reading, 500 Writing) or 21 ACT scores or higher (high school students)
- 3.0/4.0 scale high school or college GPA or higher
- Financial need as demonstrated by the gross annual household income ceiling up to $70,000 for a family of four or less, and $80,000 for a family of five or more
- If the applicant has not been listed as a dependent for the previous tax year, the gross annual household income ceiling is $35,000 or less
- Meet the same employment standards as permanent employees, successfully completing both security and medical processing
- Available to work in the Washington, DC area during your periods of employment
The Scholar Program is extremely competitive, therefore attention to detail is critical. If you meet the minimum requirements listed above for this program, apply online between April 1 – September 23. All applicants must provide the following information with their online application or they will not be considered for the program.
- SAT or ACT scores (For high school seniors who are taking the SAT or ACT in the fall, please make note of your test date in your application.
- Names and ages of all family dependents and proof of gross annual household income. Please provide one of the following documents to prove that you meet the financial requirements of the program:
- Either a copy of your most current Federal Application for Financial Student Aid Form (FAFSA),
- Or a copy of the most recent W2(s) stating gross annual household income
- A copy of your school transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- Scholarship Program Application [PDF 918KB*]
- Qualification Supplement [PDF 1042KB*]
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please send all attachments in PDF format and provide a separate sheet listing the documents you have attached.
ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA.
All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation.
To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.
Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are an applicant for or an employee of the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. You cannot control whom they would tell. We therefore ask you to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the Agency. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing.
Save the position(s) that interest you in the job cart. You can add up to four (4) positions. Job cart selections will only be retained during this site visit, so be sure to click “Apply Now” before closing the browser window. After clicking “Apply Now” you will be taken to the application account creation page. The positions will appear in the cart once you have created an account. DO NOT submit multiple applications; this will only slow the review of your application and delay processing. Please read the Application Instructions carefully before you begin the online application process.
An equal opportunity employer and a drug-free work force.
*The latest version of Adobe® Reader® is needed to view Adobe PDF files. Additionally, Internet Explorer is not a recommended web browser. If you don’t already have Adobe Reader installed, you may download the current version at www.adobe.com (opens in a new window). [external link disclaimer]