Requirements for Applicants and Scholarship Information
In addition to completing the application, financial disclosure form and attaching samples of your writing, the following criteria must be met:
- Applicants must attach their high school transcript(s) to their application. They must have at least a “B” average (3.0 accumulative) for grades 9, 10 and 11, and, when available, the first half of grade 12.
- Applicants must reside in and attend a high school, either public or private, in Montgomery, Shelby, Greene, Miami, Preble, Darke, Butler or Warren Counties.
- SAT and/or ACT scores, if available, should be included with the application.
- Applicants should also detail their involvement in high school or community newspapers, yearbooks, newsletters, or other publications. Samples of published work should be included. Limit sample material to six (6) items. If the applicant has no published work, representative samples of classroom writing must be submitted.
- Each applicant should submit at least two (2) references with supporting letters addressing the applicant’s scholarship, leadership, and service to the school and community.
- APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MAY 31. Any application received with a late postmark or upload time will not be considered.
- Family members of employees of Cox Media Group Ohio or any other Cox-Owned property are ineligible to compete for the scholarship.
- Financial need of the applicant, while not the sole criterion, will weigh in determining the winner.
- The Si Burick Journalism Scholarship is for one year and is not renewable. The amount of the scholarship is a maximum of $2,000 and is payable only to the college the winner attends. Scholarship funds will not be accruable and must be used toward first-year tuition and expenses.
- The decision of the selection committee is final.