Dayton Christian High School is preparing to nominate two boys and two girls to represent the school as delegates in the Buckeye Girls and Boys State for 2016. These nominees will then undergo an interview process with the local, sponsoring American Legion to be confirmed. This is an honor reward that allows a student to attend Boys/Girls State this summer and gain education and appreciation in the duties, privileges, rights and responsibilities of good citizenship. Students may learn more about City, County and State Government in one week than they might in a semester long course. Through hands-on experience Delegates have the opportunity to not only learn the mechanics of local and state government; they learn citizenship, patriotism and the love of God and Country; they gain self-confidence, poise and character.
Nominees must be able to attend the seminar this summer. Girls State will be taking place on the campus of University of Mount Union in Alliance Ohio from 1:00 PM on June 12th to 12:15 PM on June 18th. Boys State will take place from 12 noon, SUNDAY, June 12, 2016 to 1:00 PM Sunday, June 19th at Bowling Green State University. A delegate must attend for this entire time, no exceptions.
- Candidates MUST have completed the Eleventh Grade and have at least one semester left prior to graduation.
- Candidates should have a good scholastic ranking and be recommended by the High School Administration to the sponsoring American Legion Post/Squadron.
- Candidates should possess qualities of Leadership, Scholastic Achievement, good citizenship and a willingness to participate.
- CANDIDATES MUST BE RESIDENTS OF OHIO AND CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES. NON-CITIZENS ARE WELCOME AND WILL PARTICIPATE IN ALL ASPECTS OF THE PROGRAM BUT EXCHANGE STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Candidates should demonstrate an interest in United States History, Government and Civics. Debate or Public Speaking is a benefit to candidates.
- Candidates are required to be in attendance for the ENTIRE Girls/Boys State program. If a candidate does not complete the program for any reason other than illness or emergency, the candidate or his family will refund all registration and travel monies to the Sponsoring Post.
- Candidates MUST believe in United States Citizenship and the ideals of “God and Country” on which our country and The American Legion were founded.
Participation as a Girls/Boys State delegate will make the student eligible for future potential American Legion Scholarships.
If you are a current Junior and meet the qualifications above, you may request consideration for this honor by completing an application and submitting to Guidance by the end of day, Wednesday, February 17th. Application can be accessed here: Boys Girls State Application